Many of us in Arizona and around America have seen large veins in legs in ourselves or someone else. Those large bulging veins protrude and snake their way just underneath the skin’s surface. Those are varicose veins. They develop when one-way valves that carry blood to the heart from the legs become damaged, causing the blood to back up and forcing the veins to twist and expand. For the most part, they are simply unattractive and relatively harmless. However, they can signal unknown health problems. If you are searching for a “vein doctor near me,” United Vein Centers can help. Read on below to learn more about varicose veins and treatment options.
Risks & When To See A Doctor About Large Veins In Legs
There are several risk factors and population groups that are more susceptible to varicose veins.
- Considered to be hereditary, meaning it runs in families.
- They develop in women 50 percent more often than in men.
- As many as 23 percent of the US population may be affected.
- Weakening of veins due to aging.
- Being overweight.
- Past injury or surgery to the legs.
- Occupations requiring long durations of standing.
- Living a sedentary lifestyle
Some symptoms to be aware of are listed below. If left untreated, you may develop blood clots, ulcers on the skin, and extreme pain. If you have any of these symptoms, reach out to your doctor.
- Pain & swelling in the legs.
- The veins become red & painful to touch.
- The veins begin to bleed.
- Sores develop on the legs.
Be Knowledgeable Of Treatment Goals
Varicose veins, unfortunately, can not be cured. Treatment goals aim to reduce symptoms, avoid complications related to the condition, and improve the look of affected areas.
If you have been searching for “vein doctors near me,” you know that many treatment options exist. These options will provide varying treatment choices and will only be able to provide care for specific conditions and symptoms. It’s always the best choice to contact your doctor and follow their recommendations.
Knowing Your Treatment Options
Treatments for varicose veins have improved significantly over the years. The days of painful vein stripping have given way to minimally invasive and practically pain-free procedures. Many of the options below are done as an in-office procedure; this allows patients to resume regular activity immediately. Listed are a mix of techniques that address both symptomatic and cosmetic solutions:
- Medical Adhesive Vein Closure – Cutting edge technology in which a type of glue is used to seal the vein.
- Endovenous Laser Ablation – Using a catheter, a unique fiber delivers pressure and energy inside the vein to collapse it down.
- Radiofrequency Ablation – Heat energy is used to close the vein.
- Intense Light Pulse Therapy – Pulses of light are used in smaller veins to generate heat to close them down.
- Sclerotherapy – Saline, salt solution, is used inside the vein to close it off.
Large veins in legs can be both unattractive and lead to more severe health problems. Stop searching for a “vein doctor near me.” If you are in Arizona, United Vein Centers are board-certified specialists who can help. If you are experiencing varicose veins, give us a call today.